Tuesday, August 23, 2011

From Burden of Self, Spring 2010

Friday, April 30, 2010

Enhancement


We ran out of time last night for me to throw this out there, but here is my little enhancement bit...
As I stated in my blog post I struggled with the design aspect of The Integral Vision. It seems/seemed pretty obvious to me that if you are trying to present something truly integral, the way in which you present it should be integral as well. The random photographs seemed disjointed and poorly chosen. There was no flow, and for me it took away greatly from any attention I was paying to what Ken Wilbur was trying to lay out.
With that, I realized that we have largely been looking at text, with a few movies/video clips here an there. I thought it would be interesting to throw into the mix a visual artist that I feel that deals with and wrestles with a lot of the same ideas that we have touched on.
While studying abroad in London I first saw Mark Titchner's work at the Tate Britain after he was nominated for the Turner Prize. His work was (as I can best recall) the first of the four nominees that I saw. His installation was titled 'How to Change Behaviour (Tiny Masters of the World Come Out)'. His work immediately settled in a little spot in my heart, and I still to this day have a hard time explaining exactly why. Here is my best attempt: I love big art. Where you have no choice but to interact with it because it is taking up an entire wall, an entire room. Also, I think it is very brave for visual artists to use words. It seems (perhaps just to me, and the way I was taught) that visual art and text are two separate things, not to be confused or explored together. Titchner's use of letters that were as tall if not taller than me was something I found incredibly exciting.
Anyhow, I find it interesting that it has been a few years since I have looked at or even thought of his work. Then all of the sudden while reading I thought to myself, 'This is a bad Mark Titchner rip off.... Mark Titchner!' I wanted to share this with the class and see if perhaps any one else has visual artists that they have found that seem to wrestle with these same questions? Here are a few links that might be of interest:

Summary of Titchner's work nominated for the Turner Prize 2006.
(Which he did not win :( <--I was sad).

Short video of Titchner talking about his work.

A few examples of his work that I had put up on the blog yesterday.

Happy visual Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment