Tuesday, August 23, 2011

From Burden of Self, Spring 2010

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Little Drummer Boy

Growing up my Father's parents spent their winter months in a house outside of Phoenix, Arizona. Every March my brother and I would look forward to our annual spring break trip to visit them. When I was seven years old my Grandpa Norb fell very ill during our week there, and not even a week had passed since returning home to Minnesota before he passed away. Needless to say, the following year going down to that house without my Grandfather in it was unsettling for my brother and I, even at such a young age.

I'm not sure at what point in the week it was, but it was early afternoon on a beautiful sunny day, and my Grandmother was in the kitchen. I had been outside throwing peanuts at Quails (don't ask) and for some reason had the Christmas tune 'The Little Drummer Boy' stuck in my head. So of course I start singing the 'barumpbabumbump' part because they were the only words I could remember at that point, and continued my peanut throwing. Eventually I ran out, and wandered into the kitchen to find my Grandma Doni singing 'The Little Drummer Boy'. My Grandmother had a beautiful singing voice, and stopped when she heard me singing the same tune.

She looked at me and asked, 'Love, why are you singing that song in March?'
To which my reply was, 'Grams, why are you singing that song in March?'
She smiled and said, 'It just popped in to my head'
'Me too, it just popped in to my head'.
'Kates, did you know that was Grandpa's favorite Christmas song?'

I have never had goosebumps or had all of the little hairs on my neck stand up the way that they did when she said that to me. Even still when my Mother and I talk about it the same thing happens. Mid-March, three months after Christmas, and my Grandmother and I are both suddenly compelled to start singing my late Grandfather's favorite Christmas song? I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts or spirits or any of the like. All that I do know is that if there were ever an experience in my life that would convince me, that one would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment